Pages

Thursday 2 May 2013

No more nostalgia for the 70s...

And so, after all the fuss around Jimmy Saville and the reality of his actions... and the numerous arrests and accusations, we have another much loved broadcaster falling far from admiration.

Stuart Hall, another name I grew up watching and enjoying and who represented the happy face of Television for many like me who were children at the time.  And yet, it now appears that for some they represented something far darker.

I confess that after the Saville announcements, the documentary that appeared to be yet another desperate grab for ratings, and the subsequent widening of the net... the 70s child in me found it hard to comprehend this could actually be real.  Now I'm left wondering if this was as widespread and common as the number of those accused would suggest.

It still seems strange that so much of this is being investigated and dealt with many decades after the events, when there are examples of recent crimes with less scope or success with convictions.

My childhood is now so shaken that I would not be surprised if Basil Brush or Sooty were to be arrested in the coming weeks.